Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Issues of Diversity in Children's Literature

Hello everyone! My name is Sara and I am currently a junior at Michigan State University. I am looking forward to getting a degree in Special Education teaching Language Arts. I love working with children and figured that special-ed would be just as awarding if not more to help a child learn.

TE 448 is a course that will
benefit my future teachings in my classroom. The world is such a diverse place and I want to be able to not only teach my students but I would also like to learn from them also. Diverse Literature is complex yet interesting. I want to be a culturally aware teacher for my students. I want my students to learn more about each other and those who are "different" from others. Exposure to other cultures I believe will help shape my own students lives. With special education you are not only teaching subject matter but you are teaching the students how to cope or be aware of their social surroundings. Learning about diverse literature will help shape my teaching principles for the better and with my understanding I will be able to understand and appreciate others.

Overall, I am always excited to learn more and to obtain more knowledge. The knowledge I will learn about diverse literature will truly help shape my future. I am looking forward to discussing any issues or challenges that may come up in this course!!

No comments: